Certification as a Diplomate by the Amercian Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) is earned by passing rigorous oral and written tests. Additionally, a certified physician must complete postgraduate training of five to seven years including extensive experience in general surgery and a minimum of two years at an approved plastic surgery center.
Unfortunately, many doctors perform plastic surgery without being plastic surgeons. Although dermatologists, gynecologists, and general surgeons, etc. have extensive training and certification in their respective specialties, they have NOT spent the extra years training in plastic surgery. Often they take weekend courses and then begin performing these cosmetic surgeries,promoting themselves as certified cosmetic surgeons.
Only one certifying board per specialty is recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties; the ABPS is the one for plastic surgery.
- American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons
- California Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Orange County Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian Department of Plastic Surgery
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery